Monday, March 21, 2022

A God Who Exercises

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 80: Today, I am grateful for a God who exercises.

I've never enjoyed exercise much. I am grateful my friend, Kim, took me to Zumba to try something new. IT took her two years of inviting me to convince me. I've not been faithful lately, but it is still my favorite exercise. Dance is good for the soul. When I am motivated, I go. Other times, I dance at home. Sometimes, I'm too tired. I feel energized when it is finished. It is still hard to get started when I am tired.

This scripture struck me because it used the word "exercise". Exercise is an action verb. Exercise requires discipline and persistence. Exercise is good, but it is not always easy to get it initiated.

Pay attention to what our Lord exercises:

"but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord." -Jeremiah 9:24 NIV 

He exercises kindness, justice and righteousness. These things require exercise. We were made in His image. Do we struggle with these things at times. We understand the value of kindness, justice and righteousness. Shouldn't they flow out of us as we draw near to His heart? 

Perhaps. They get easier to choose as a daily way of living... like regular exercise... but there is a choice involved. The original Hebrew (āśâ) means "to work at" something. Exercise is a good choice for translation. 

"In these things I delight." Runners high? Satisfaction when a workout is over? 

Today, I am grateful for a God who exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment