Monday, March 7, 2022

Spring Cleaning

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 67: Today, I am grateful for Spring Cleaning.

The Love of My Life and I have differences of opinion on Spring Cleaning. I like to "micro clean" a drawer... he likes to throw things out. We meet in the middle and both feel good when something is accomplished.

Spring cleaning smells good, too. Walker always said, "I love the smell of mopped". when he was little. He still likes the smell. I think of the days when the boys were little when spring rolls around.

I miss the boy noises of spring. The ins and outs of them banging a screen door is a memory I hold tight, now that they are grown. I am fairly sure there were days I said the same things Mama did when we were little. "In or out! " "Make a choice, but stop running in and out." They preferred outside much of the time if the neighborhood kids were outside, too.

When cleaning, we would get rid of broken toys and games that were missing pieces. We would do our best to purge forgotten toys and outgrown clothing items.

Back in the day, we would have a garage sale with our girlfriends, enough to fill the Moschel/Akerman garage. The house next door had the best garage for garage sales and we made sure the Akerman's were on board to host when they purchased the house from the Moschels. We have so many fun memories of those days.

When I think of spring cleaning, I can't help but remember one of our children's church students responding to the question of who was harder to please, parents or God. One wise student spoke these words I will never forget. "Mom wants you to clean your room. God wants you to clean your heart." Nailed it!

This scripture is perfect:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" -Psalm 139:23-24

Make this a season of purging things unpleasing to God. Lift your hearts in celebration of new beginnings.

Today, I am grateful for Spring Cleaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment