Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Wilderness

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 351: Today, I am grateful for the wilderness. 

The Wilderness is something I've contemplated quite a bit these past few years. 

There are times when we feel alone, even when surrounded by people. This world is full of burdens because there is sin and the enemy is loose on the land, striking out with demonic forces. 

I know I don't speak of demons often. I probably should more often. If we believe in angels, how can we ignore the other side of the battle line? My online Bible Study Group has been in Revelation these past weeks. I know it sounds strange, but it is good, my friends. There is hope and good news - HE wins!!! We know the end of the story before it happens.  

In the wilderness seasons, pause and listen. You have not been abandoned. In fact, in the times of our most difficult circumstances, His presence becomes more tangible. There are times He whispers. There are times He struts his stuff. He is always present and a very real refuge. 

Think about Joseph and Mary in the wilderness on their way to Bethlehem. There was no Interstate Road system or GPS. Many had walked the path before them, but there was no "Bigfoot" or "Casey's" when Mary was hungry and needed a snack. Did they pause to take nourishment from the food they had packed? Did they look to the sky and wonder how much farther they should travel that day? We don't know but we can wonder.

Did the Magi who followed His Star to Bethlehem lament that they had not yet reached their destination at the end of the day?  Did they discuss the ancient writings of the Jewish prophets? Were they concerned about they gifts brought along being well received? Again, we know none of these things, but we know they endured the wilderness to find their way to the Christ child.  

One of my favorite songs in the past decade is "What Do I Know of Holy? by Addison Road." Some songs grab my soul with both hands, and it is one of them. The song was inspired by Isaiah 6. 

"Then I said, “It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.” -Isaiah 6:5 9 (NLT) 

Isaiah was there when the Lord's presence filled the temple and it was a "I'm going to pee my pants" moment.  He was "undone" in the King James Version. The Message is a fun read. I chose the NLT for the quote. All of them attempt to capture the awe of the moment. 

Isaiah had his moments with God in the temple and in the wilderness. Same God, no matter the location. When God's presence is tangible, stop and savor it. Don't  waste a moment. It can happen in a place of worship, but often it is in the wilderness moments. 

Today, I am grateful for the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment