Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Gift of Another Day

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 365: Today, I am grateful for the gift of another day to choose gratitude.

This is the time of  year I have to decide if I am done with posting "Daily Gratitude". It takes time. It requires being intentional. Ten years is complete. 3,652 (two Leap Years in the mix)"Daily Gratitude" posts  made on Facebook. Do we go another year? 

Losing Donna (Emma's Mom and one of my dearest friends) was a reminder to be more intentional with the time we have. I miss her wisdom in my world. She was the best of the best. 

A decade seemed a good place to stop, although I will continue the practice privately ( because gratitude really does change everything). Then, in August and September, two very special people who walked in gratitude with me went to heaven. 

Jeff Hanson made the frame around my writing desk out of wood. He has been a part of our extended family since 1993 when my brother married his sister. Every single day I write, I sit surrounded by something beautiful Jeff handcrafted just for our family. He sanded the wood, applied the stain and nailed every nail. His attention to detail was evident in everything he did. 

Our shared niece was married in August. It was the last time I saw Jeff. We had the best conversation.  He mentioned "Daily Gratitude" and I told him I thought a decade might be a good place to stop. He said, "No. I don't always comment, but I do read it. Don't stop."  His final breath was just a couple of weeks later. 

Another... one of my oldest friends and biggest encouragers, cheerleaders and willing editors (if I would ever put these in a book)... was Sally. Sally has been a part of my world since 5th grade. We have never lost touch. She married a Rosenboom... and the Rosenbooms are like extended family to the Lindgrens... which was all the sweeter. I knew life would never separate us for long.  

I can't tell you how many times Sally would share something that would inspire a gratitude post or a deeper look at a scripture. She would send a verse, a thought or a quote... or we would share a conversation. She found a personal relationship with Jesus... she chased Him and his heart.  She was a smart girl who loved to dig deeper in the scriptures. I already miss the exchanges and promises of the next shared cup of coffee.  She introduced me to "Andrew Peterson" and the book series "Every Moment Holy". I've prayer for "her people" and she has prayed for "mine".  

Then in October, Randy's cousin Becky lost her granddaughter, Cait.  It was unexpected. We have no words or understanding, as she was only ten.  Our hearts ache and break for them. Still, I see her parents and family looking for the tiniest reasons to be grateful through the pain. 

Year eleven the focus will be on being intentional. We will see where it goes. 

I am truly grateful for  all who take the time to read and walk with me. I am grateful for you.

I am grateful for the gift of another day to choose gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment