Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Wide Calf Boots

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 347: Today, I am grateful for wide-calf boots. This is one of my quirkier gratitude posts... but it has been on my mind today.

Did you know that some people have wider calves than others? For many... no matter their weight... their calves do not fit comfortably into the average boot.

Jumping, cheering and dancing activities can increase the calf size. So can excessive walking and wearing high heels. For those who have wide calves... finding boots that fit is a never ending pursuit. The Love-of-my-Life just says, "Get them." when I find some that work. The poor man has endured many long shopping trips when I am hunting for boots. It would be easier to hunt and bag a 12-point deer... and he isn't a hunter.

Honestly, the last time I hit the boot jackpot was at Bergner's many years ago. I like classic styles, but this year, any I had left ended up in the trash bin. There was no redeeming or resoling them. I had to give them up and start the search to replace them.

I am very grateful to have found one pair in black. They zip comfortably and are in a classic design that will wear well. Some winter days require boots. It was a sweet victory when they arrived and they fit perfectly.

It is humbling to remember there are many who have no boots, no shoes and no socks.

I don't want to forget the reason we celebrate. When the King of the Heaven arrived, He had no fancy clothing or shoes. They wrapped him in swaddling clothes and placed him in a manger.

"and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them." - Luke 2:7

Can we even imagine that scene in the stable? We can try, but I am sure we are missing details. How ill fitting did His human skin feel? He chose to take on our human fragility while holding eternity in his hands. The hope all nations lay in a food trough. Such a strange way to save the world, right? Strange and perfect, all at the same time. I am grateful for His choice that changed everything.

I am grateful for the discomfort he chose to bear on our behalf.

Today, I am grateful for wide-calf boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment