Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Autumn Scents

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 279: Today, I am grateful we can smell the autumn.

The scents of autumn are beginning to fill the air. The cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cranberry, apple, warm vanilla, maple, warmed citrus, falling leaves and so many more. 

I am helpless in front of the wax melts, plug-ins and candles that fill our home with fall scents. The Love of My Life has teased me that our Bath and Body works calls me when they run out of soap. 

"I can smell Autumn dancing in the breeze, the sweet chill of pumpkin and crisp sunburnt leaves." -unknown

Autumn scents are cozy scents. They prepare our hearts for the winter ahead. They are something to savor. The season between summer and winter is a time of preparation and celebration. We learn the simple joy of a warm afternoon followed by a cool evening.  In Illinois, the weather can change in 15 minutes. Our souls need a little more time to prepare for winter in places with big temperature changes with the seasons... perhaps it is the reason God created autumn. 

He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding;  -Daniel 2:21

He controls the seasons. He designed the forces that keep earth spinning and revolving around the sun. Yet, He cares about us. We see His love reflected in the scents of autumn. 

I have never lived in a place without a fall season. I imagine I would miss it. It is a great day to contemplate fall scents. (Full disclosure: I am ready for the smell of "pumpkin guts" to disappear. It is a bonus scent we live with for a few weeks each year... not my favorite.) 

Today, I am grateful we can smell the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment