Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Purpose in Pain

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 292: Today, I am grateful there is often purpose in pain.

I love Ann Voskamp quotes. "God only allows pain if He's allowing something new to be born."

I have nerve damage that keeps me from feeling in some places on my body. I am at times reminded that pain has a purpose. In my case, where I don't have feeling, injury can occur in the absence of pain. It would be easy to burn my skin, and I do at times regret attempts to lift things I shouldn't. Pain serves a purpose. Sometimes that purpose is to make us stop doing whatever is hurtful or self destructive. 

Remember when you were little? You would have a bruise or some other small injury you would bring before the counsel of Dr. Mom? Pressing the tender area and you would say, "It hurts when I do this." How does every mother respond to that declaration? She says, "Then, don't do that." The memory makes me smile. Yes, I say it, too. 

Some days we feel pain and it is overwhelming. Other days, we are reminded that pain has purpose and our vision clears.

"In the same way I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be born,” says the Lord. “If I cause you the pain, I will not stop you from giving birth to your new nation,” says your God." -Isaiah 66:9 (NCV)

 We can only take one day at a time. That is a gift from God. Some days, we have to take things one minute at a time. Pain reminds us that we need a God who can reach into our distress and our messes. He never fails to answer the call. Never. Not ever!

Discomfort is typically something we try to avoid. I am reminded that through discomfort comes growth, strength, refinement and even new life. 

Today, I am grateful there is often purpose in pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment